The Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) Technician II assists senior staff in the planning, coordinating, and implementing BioFire Defense’s HSE programs, policies, and procedures to establish the desired site safety culture. This position assists in ensuring companywide compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
Principal Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform all work in compliance with company policy and within the guidelines of BioFire Defense’s Quality System.
- Plan, Assist, Coordinate, and Implement the facilities health & safety programs, policies, and procedures to ensure compliance with all HSE regulations (OSHA, RCRA, DOT, EPA, etc.)
- Assist with monitoring environmental practices and permitting to ensure compliance
- Collect and analyze safety incident and injury statistics in a spreadsheet format and report results to senior staff
- Perform job safety analysis (JSA’s) and recommend corrective actions
- Conducts safety training including new employee orientation and specific occupation health and safety topic training to individuals and groups and compile statistics and reports relevant to safety training
- Inspects and maintains safety equipment, including fire extinguishers, eye wash stations, first aid stations and AED’s.
- Assists with maintaining the facility wide, web based chemical inventory list and Safety Data Sheets.
- Assists with hazardous, non-hazardous, and non-regulated waste management including proper handling, labeling and storage.
- Encourages and enforces a safety culture within the company by providing a strong facility presence.
- Conducts internal safety and environmental audits.
- Assists / supports the facilities team as needed / directed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Training and Education:
- High School diploma or equivalent with 5 years of HSE experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred in Occupational Safety and Health, Environmental or equivalent combination of college course work and practical experience in safety in a Manufacturing or multi-functional operation.
- OSHA 40-Hour Hazwoper certification - preferred.
- CPR/First Aid Certification - preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years (depending on corresponding education level defined above) of HSE experience.
- Experience in a manufacturing environment preferred.
- Experience in scientific laboratories and clean room environments a plus.
- Oral Communication – the ability to effectively communicate with all site personnel and regulators. This includes ability to reinforce HSE concepts and policies in a manner that promotes learning and compliance.
- Written Communication – the ability to write reports, training materials, standard operating procedures, and policies.
- Planning/Organizing – the ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and multi-tasks.
- Reasoning – the ability to collect and accurately assemble data in a logical manner. The ability to read, analyze, and interpret job related information.
- Dependability – Must have timely and accurate reporting, tracking, and follow-up of assignments.
- Computer Skills – Proficient in using Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge and understanding of OSHA regulations, standard safety procedures, and best safe work practices.
- Timely completion and follow-up of assigned tasks and accurate collection and tracking of required data is essential.
- Ability to pass a respirator fit test.
- Ability to meet clean-room and laboratory gowning protocols.
- Ability to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time.
- Lift up to 50 lbs.
- 401k - company match of 5% regardless of participation and up to a total of 9.5% company match if contributing.
- 4 Weeks of PTO
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Participation in Company's Wellness Program (discounted medical premiums)
- Multiple Company Sponsored Events Each Year (catered breakfast/lunch, holiday parties, snacks)
- Stimulating work environment
- Convenient location near I-15 and Trax Station
- Free Parking
Our EEO Policy
BioFire Defense is an equal opportunity employer (M/F/D/V). We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law.