This is a full-time non-exempt position. This position is part of a team working on a variety of laboratory procedures involving PCR, RT-PCR, and real-time PCR using established methods and techniques under general guidance. This person works closely with research associates in the research lab (including BSL 2). Performs general lab duties, designs, and conducts experiments, collects, and analyzes data, and keeps an accurate record of all work done in accordance with the quality system. Requires some problem-solving skills. Normally receives general instructions on routine work, detailed instruction on new assignments. Will report to a Scientist.
Principal Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs all work in compliance with company policy and within the guidelines of BioFire Defense Quality System.
- Performs diagnostic tests using PCR to check the functionality of several different instruments produced by BioFire.
- Responsible for research and/or development in collaboration with others for assigned projects.
- Performs lab duties and experiments.
- Collects, analyzes, and presents data relating to PCR.
- Contributes to project process within his/her scientific discipline.
- Responsible for maintaining instrument history quality control records.
- Responsible for developing and revising instrument quality control procedures, involving controlled Word and Excel documents.
- Ensures that laboratory notebook for assigned projects/experiments are maintained in accordance with the BioFire Defense Employment Handbook.
Training and Education:
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline or equivalent and demonstrated working knowledge of scientific principles.
- 0-3 years’ experience in the field or in a related area.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS OneNote).
- Must demonstrate skill in basic laboratory technician practices (pipetting, materials handling, contamination control).
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team player
- Adaptable to changing priorities
- Capable of working in a fast-paced environment to meet deadlines
- Curious mindset with an internal drive for development of new technologies
- Ability to safely lift and maneuver ~20 lbs.
- Must have sufficient manual and visual dexterity for standard laboratory practices (e.g., pipetting, micro centrifuge tube capping/uncapping, syringe manipulation, etc.).
- Ability to wear required personal protective equipment (PPE) and work with a variety of organisms and body fluids in a Biosafety Level 2/2+ laboratory environment.
- If unable to meet these requirements, reasonable accommodations will be made if supervisor is notified.
- 4 Weeks of PTO
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Participation in Company's Wellness Program (discounted medical premiums)
- Multiple Company Sponsored Events Each Year (catered breakfast/lunch, holiday parties, snacks)
- Stimulating work environment
- Convenient location near I-15 and Trax Station
- Free Parking
Our EEO Policy
BioFire Defense is an equal opportunity employer (M/F/D/V). We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law. BioFire Defense complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.